Currie Heritage Buildings
From 1936 to 1997, the Athlone Building was home to the offices of everyone from the Currie Barracks’ base commander to its clerical staff. The hub of all major administrative tasks, the Athlone Building is where Currie Barracks’ history was penned.
From 1936 to 1952, The Bessborough Building was the only permanent barracks at Currie Barracks. Non-commissioned regiment officers called it home for nearly four decades. Like the base itself, the building’s purpose evolved over time, eventually transforming into an administration support building in 1971.
Built in 1935, The Bennet Building was a keystone aspect of daily operations at the Currie Barracks base. The primary mess and recreation hall, here is where non-commissioned regiment members ate, drank, and bonded.
Various visiting dignitaries were honoured at Parade Square throughout Currie Barracks’ history. Designed in 1935, this was the space where military and public life overlapped. Framed by mature greenery and paved with pedestrian access paths, the grounds were utilized for both ceremony and day-to-day operations.
The Pellat Block was built in 1952 to replace the temporary facilities that had been set up for World War II’s new recruits. Accommodating over five-hundred men, the building met an urgent need as Currie Barracks transitioned into the most important military base in Alberta.
A testament to a different time, the Stables Building accommodated up to one hundred horses and served the needs of the cavalry school from 1936 to 1939. The building was specially designed to maximize light, air flow and sanitation. World War II’s outbreak transformed Currie Barracks into a major training centre, and as a result, the Stables Building was converted into much-needed accommodations for new infantry recruits.
Completed in 1936, the location, design and environment of the Officers’ Mess communicates the association between senior officers and elite military culture. An enclosed veranda situated south of the building leads to a formal garden area, further illustrating the privileges of rank.
Completed in 1936 and 1938 respectively, Ramshead House and Brad House were the residences for the regimental and base commanders stationed at Currie Barracks. The two houses’ association with the senior officers at Currie Barracks is emphasized by their design, the isolation of their setting, the quality of the materials used in their construction, and their formal, manicured landscaping.
Trasimene Crescent, lined by mature coniferous trees, provides Brad House and Ramshead House with a direct connection to the Officers’ Mess. It also provides easy access to the complex of buildings near the Parade Square, which were the heart of the base’s day-to-day operations.